A Great Big City is a one-man operation, which includes all the reporting, photography, research, and website maintenance and programming. Starting a news site from scratch over the last year has required a huge sacrifice and is a 24/7 job – It has been difficult, but it has also been a dream come true!
The reality is that taking the chance on starting a news site has been a significant financial challenge, and your support is needed – If you have gotten value out of the website or the real-time updates via Twitter, please make a donation to preserve independent journalism and allow the site to continue!
Highlights from the past year:
- Coverage of Hurricane Irene for well over 24 hours straight, which set the record for number of hits on an AGBC article
- Earthquake! – the unexpected earthquake that rattled NYC was the first test of the AGBC emergency site, which is designed to be easily updated and remain operational during an emergency
- Constant Occupy Wall Street coverage began even before Occupy started and has led to me reporting live from many OWS firsts, including Bowling Green on September 17th, Union Square during the pepper-spray incident, and the Brooklyn Bridge during the mass arrest
- A fun trip through a deserted Wall Street to check out the Batman movie set!
- Tracking down the story of the mysterious Amazon Lockers that were appearing around the city – a story which was widely sourced on other sites once Amazon officially made an announcement about the lockers expanding to NYC
- And, of course, daring to step inside the lobby of the Woolworth Building!
A Great Big City has grown significantly in its first year and has garnered mentions in Gothamist, AlterNet, the Huffington Post, ANIMAL New York, Gizmodo, Slate, the BBC, the New York Times, Business Insider, and dozens of personal blogs.
- 100% of all donations will be used to continue on-the-scene local coverage of New York City news and events.
- Donations can be made using any major credit card through WePay, a fundraising website.
- Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated!
- If you would like to arrange a larger sponsorship or purchase advertising on the site, please email email@example.com
Thank you so much for being a part of A Great Big City and making all of this possible! If you have any questions or comments about the fundraiser, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org