Occupy Wall Street's One Year Anniversary
September 15th was a day of organization and planning for Occupy, as they gathered in Washington Square Park to hold both large assemblies and smaller break-out groups to focus on specific issues.
Video of a clash between protesters and police via Matthew Russell Lee / InnerCityPress
As Occupy entered Zuccotti, two rows of metal barricades surrounded the park, including NYPD barricades. Arrests were made along the march and, based on overheard police conversation, the preliminary numbers were 10 total arrests so far.
Outside Trinity Church, the small “Occupy Trinity” encampment gathered their belongings and cleared out as the march approached Zuccotti, and the NYPD continued throughout the evening to clear the sidewalk and make arrests if people refused to move. Patrick deHahn witnessed a strange incident where a woman attempted to light an American flag on fire outside Trinity Church, but was unsuccessful and the action caused other protesters to intervene with the woman’s attempts and began an argument between protesters. Shortly after, the NYPD cleared and shut down the sidewalk in front of Trinity Church, lining the sidewalk with officers and not allowing any pedestrian traffic to pass.
Schedule info from s17nyc.org [PDF link]
September 15th – Washington Square Park
- 10:30am – 12:30pm – Welcome and Orientation Activities, Lunch
- 12:30pm – 4pm – Inaugural Assembly and Thematic Breakout Groups
- 4pm – 6:30pm – Open Space
- 6:30pm – 7pm – Closing Assembly
- 7:30pm – 9pm – Debt Resistors’ Operation Manual Book Launch
- 10am – 1pm – Spectra Pipeline Blast Zone March with Occupy Guitarmy at Gansevoort and Hudson River Greenway
- 12pm – 7pm – Occupy Town Square at Thomas Paine Park – Worth Street btw Lafayette and Centre
- 1pm – 6pm – Concert: “99 Revolutions” at Foley Square
- 6:30pm – 7:30pm – Direct Action with Know Your Rights Training
- 7:30pm – Occupy Rosh Hashanah Services at Liberty Plaza
- 7am – Assemble at convergence points
- 7:30am – Action: The People’s Wall and 99 Revolutions
- 10am – Storm Wall Street at Bowling Green
- 11am – Spokes Council at Ferry Terminal
- 12pm – 5pm – Imagine a World Without Wall Street Assembly at Foley Square
- 6pm – 10pm – Emma Goldman Popular Assembly at Foley Square
- 6pm – 10pm – The 99% Go To Wall Street at Liberty Plaza