Stolen Hummer Crashes into Rub BBQ on 23rd Street in Chelsea
Details are few, but a black Hummer was stolen and led the police on a car chase the wrong way down Sixth Avenue and ended in a crash with a taxi and an MTA bus. Reports are that eight people may have been injured in a combination of being hit by vehicles, hit by falling debris, and at least three were injured on the MTA bus. The driver was apprehended led away from the crash in handcuffs.
Although some onlookers initially said the Hummer was stolen from the Jay-Z-owned 40/40 Club on 25th Street, where President Obama will be holding a fundraiser later tonight, CBS2 has the real story of what happened:
A woman was picking up the vehicle at a garage in Chelsea, WCBS 880′s Monica Miller reported. While she was waiting for the attendant, a man jumped in the vehicle and drove off.
The suspect, a 19-year-old man, drove off in the Hummer as the attendant clung to the side of the vehicle, police said.
If you have any photos or info from the car chase, send them in! Leave a comment below or mention @agreatbigcity on Twitter.
- Crane Accident at the World Trade Center
- Occupy Wall Street's May 1st "General Strike" [Liveblog]
- Dore Mear Beon - "Bimbos, Bozos, and Buffons"
- Timelapse of the New York Botanical Garden's Holiday Train Show [video]
- Brooklyn Flea's 4th Annual Superstar DJ Record Fair
- New York City Celebrates in Times Square as NASA's Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Successfully Lands