AGBC News Episode 14: Subway Groundbreaking, a Plywood Wall, and a Steamy Elevator
A subway story from both 1900 and 2019.
Visit agreatbigcity.com/support to learn how to support New York City local news and allow us to keep bringing you this podcast. If you are a New York-based business and would be interested in sponsoring our podcasts, visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
23 years ago on March 17, 1996 — The city hospitals and the FDNY combine emergency response units to form the FDNY EMS and provide ambulance service citywide. In February 2019, the Daily News reported that the city EMS handled 83% of calls to the FDNY, and did so with a workforce less than half as large as the number of firefighters.
61 years ago on March 19, 1958 — A fire at the Monarch Underwear Company kills 24 and injures 15 — Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire
2 years ago on March 20, 2017 — Timothy Caughman is stabbed with a sword and killed on 36th Street in Hell's Kitchen by a white man from Baltimore who had traveled to Manhattan planning to kill black men
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2011, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
Park of the day
- Ulver is playing Irving Plaza on Friday, March 22nd at 7pm.
- Weakened Friends, coping skills, Hit Like a Girl, and Nervous Dater are playing The Kingsland on Friday, March 22nd at 7pm.
- Hollis Brown is playing Mercury Lounge on Friday, March 22nd at 7:30pm.
- Homeshake, pink siifu, and Yves Jarvis are playing Brooklyn Steel on Friday, March 22nd at 8pm.
- Jawbreaker, Pohgoh, and War on Women are playing Brooklyn Steel on Saturday, March 23rd at 7pm.
- Vhs Collection and Future Generations are playing Irving Plaza on Saturday, March 23rd at 8pm.
- Mariah Carey is playing Radio City Music Hall on Monday, March 25th at 8pm.
- Music and Conversation and The Zombies are playing The Cutting Room on Tuesday, March 26th at 6pm.
- Yves Tumor is playing National Sawdust on Tuesday, March 26th at 8pm.
Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events
New York Fact
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
- At 33 square miles, Manhattan is the smallest borough, but has the greatest population density of any city or county in the U.S.
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 84°F on March 21, 1921
Record Low: 10°F on March 21, 1885
Weather for the week ahead:
Rain today and tomorrow, with high temperatures rising to 60°F on Sunday. Gusty winds will be of concern on Friday the 22nd and may reach 40mph gusts overnight into Saturday
Thanks for listening to A Great Big City. Follow along 24 hours a day on social media @agreatbigcity or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any news, feedback, or topic suggestions. Subscribe to AGBC News wherever you listen to podcasts: iTunes, Google Play, or Player FM, Spotify, and RadioPublic or listen to each episode on the podcast pages. If you enjoy the show, subscribe and leave a review wherever you're listening and visit agreatbigcity.com/podcast to see show notes and extra links for each episode.
Intro and outro music: 'Start the Day' by Lee Rosevere