AGBC News Episode 44: Diana Nyad Swims Around Manhattan and the Corey Lidle Plane Crash
Happy 9 years of AGBC 🎉
Visit agreatbigcity.com/support to learn how to support New York City local news and allow us to keep bringing you this podcast. If you are a New York-based business and would be interested in sponsoring our podcasts, visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
9 years ago on October 4, 2010 — 🎉 A Great Big City is founded 🎉
20 years ago on October 1, 1999 — Area code 347 becomes active in NYC, adding to the area covered by 718 in the outer boroughs
44 years ago on October 6, 1975 — Diana Nyad swims entirely around Manhattan in record time
19 years ago on October 8, 2000 — Attackers attempt to firebomb a synagogue in Riverdale, Bronx
34 years ago on October 9, 1985 — The 'Imagine' mosaic in Central Park's Strawberry Fields is dedicated to John Lennon on what would have been his 45th birthday
5 years ago on October 10, 2014 — Construction of 432 Park Ave tops out at 1,398 feet, becoming the second-tallest building in NYC and 15th tallest in the world
The housing market may be moving in your favor if you can afford to buy instead of rent your next apartment. According to real estate site StreetEasy's data through August 2019, the prices of rentals are increasing while the prices of homes for sale are decreasing. In fact, the median asking price for a one-bedroom in Manhattan jumped 7.5% over last year, tagging on $233 to the monthly rent. At the same time, sale prices in Manhattan dropped 4.5%, matching price levels from April 2015. Brooklyn and Queens didn't escape the trend, so your chances at home ownership in the outer boroughs are also increasing. Brooklyn sales prices dropped 2.4% and prices stayed level in Queens, both movements that are at odds with what had been steadily increasing prices. On the flip side, rental prices also jumped in Brooklyn and Queens, a move that should really have city residents comparing the math on paying a monthly rent versus paying a mortgage payment.
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website: It also automatically checks MTA data before morning rush hour and sends out notifications if there are delays on any subway lines, LIRR or MetroNorth trains, and bridges and tunnels. Follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts.
Park of the day
- Brust Park — One of the oldest parks in the section of Riverdale known as Fieldston, this property was acquired by the City through condemnation on December 30, 1882. Today, Brust Park is often used by Manhattan College students seeking refuge from their studies in the shade of the more than 15 types of trees found in the park.
- 17th Annual My Dog Loves Central Park Fair — Date: October 6, 2019
This is the AGBC Concert Calendar for the upcoming week:
- Phil Collins is playing Madison Square Garden in Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Sunday, October 6th at 8pm.
- Madonna is playing BAM Howard Gilman Opera House in Boerum Hill on Sunday, October 6th at 8pm.
- Phil Collins is playing Madison Square Garden in Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Monday, October 7th at 8pm.
- Madonna is playing BAM Howard Gilman Opera House in Boerum Hill on Monday, October 7th at 8pm.
- MercyMe with Crowder is playing Radio City Music Hall in Midtown on Tuesday, October 8th at 7pm.
- Raphael is playing Carnegie Hall - Stern Auditorium in Hell's Kitchen / Midtown on Tuesday, October 8th at 8pm.
- Madonna (Rescheduled from 9/12) is playing BAM Howard Gilman Opera House in Boerum Hill on Thursday, October 10th at 8pm.
- Bon Iver with Yo La Tengo is playing Barclays Center in Boerum Hill on Friday, October 11th at 7pm.
- Renaissance is playing The Town Hall in Midtown on Friday, October 11th at 8pm.
- America is playing St. George Theatre in St. George / Tompkinsville on Friday, October 11th at 8pm.
- Rolling Loud Festival (2 Day Pass) with Travis Scott, A$AP Rocky, Meek Mill, and more are playing Citi Field in North Corona / Flushing Meadows on Saturday, October 12th at 12pm.
- Chris Thile with Trey Anastasio is playing The Town Hall in Midtown on Saturday, October 12th at 5pm.
- Wilco is playing Radio City Music Hall in Midtown on Saturday, October 12th at 7pm.
- The Temptations with The Four Tops is playing New Jersey Performing Arts Center on Saturday, October 12th at 8pm.
- Madonna (Rescheduled from 9/14) is playing BAM Howard Gilman Opera House in Boerum Hill on Saturday, October 12th at 8pm.
- slenderbodies is playing Rough Trade NYC in Williamsburg on Saturday, October 12th at 9pm.
Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
New York Fact
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 94°F on October 5, 1941
Record Low: 35°F on October 5, 1881
Weather for the week ahead:
Light rain Sunday through Wednesday, with high temperatures dropping into the 60s
Thanks for listening to A Great Big City. Follow along 24 hours a day on social media @agreatbigcity or email email@example.com with any news, feedback, or topic suggestions. Subscribe to AGBC News wherever you listen to podcasts: iTunes, Google Play, or Pocket Casts, Player FM, Overcast, or listen to each episode on the podcast pages at agreatbigcity.com/podcast. If you enjoy the show, subscribe and leave a review wherever you're listening and visit our podcast site to see show notes and extra links for each episode.