AGBC News Episode 56: Coronavirus Updates and The Gates Open in Central Park
All is well ⛩️
Visit agreatbigcity.com/support to learn how to support New York City local news and allow us to keep bringing you this podcast. If you are a New York-based business and would be interested in sponsoring our podcasts, visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
64 years ago on February 8, 1956 — Eastern Air Flight 663 swerves to avoid an oncoming aircraft and crashes near Jones Beach, killing all 84 people on board
78 years ago on February 9, 1942 — The SS Normandie catches fire and capsizes into the Hudson River
52 years ago on February 11, 1968 — Madison Square Garden opens on the site of the old Pennsylvania Station
Back in April 2019 on Episode 19 of the podcast, I first talked about the possibility of a tower rising above Macy's in Herald Square, and this week, the speculation of the tower moved closer to reality as the retail giant revealed new architectural renderings of a 900ft tower planned to be built on top of the classic Midtown store.
- February 10: Tu B’Shevat 🌱, a minor Jewish holiday celebrating the planting of new trees
- February 12: Lincoln's Birthday, in recognition of the 16th President's birth in 1809
- February 14: Valentine's Day 💖
- February 15: Susan B. Anthony Day, celebrating a pioneer in securing women's right to vote
- February 17: Washington's Birthday, in recognition of the 1st President's birth in 1732
9 years ago on February 11, 2011 — Maksim Gelman begins a killing spree spanning two boroughs, killing four people and injuring five
15 years ago on February 12, 2005 — "The Gates" open in Central Park
45 years ago on February 13, 1975 — A three-alarm fire burns in the World Trade Center North Tower for three hours
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website: Every evening, just before sundown, A Great Big City checks the Empire State Building's lighting schedule and sends out a notification if the tower's lighting will be lit in special colors for a holiday or celebration. Follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts.
Park of the day
- Barretto Point Park — Located on the East River waterfront in Hunts Point in the Bronx, with facilities for fishing, boating, volleyball, basketball, a playground, and even a floating public pool that is made out of a barge and floats off the coast of Barretto Point Park!
- Bronx Winterfest — Date: February 15, 2020 Join NYC Parks for a day of family fun at the 10th annual Bronx Winterfest at Brady Playground in Bronx Park. This free, family-friendly event will include winter sports, dance performances, games, prizes, and much more! Activities include winter sports, workshops, dance performances, arts and crafts,...
This is the AGBC Concert Calendar for the upcoming week:
- The Lumineers with Mt. Joy is playing Barclays Center on Thursday, February 13th at 7pm.
- Marc Anthony is playing Madison Square Garden on Thursday, February 13th at 8pm.
- Tove Lo with Alma is playing Brooklyn Steel on Thursday, February 13th at 8pm.
- The Lumineers with Mt. Joy is playing Barclays Center on Friday, February 14th at 7pm.
- Eagles: Hotel California Tour is playing Madison Square Garden on Friday, February 14th at 8pm.
- Bell Biv DeVoe with Monica and Fantasia and a Night of Love and Xscap3 are playing Prudential Center on Friday, February 14th at 8pm.
- Josh Groban is playing Radio City Music Hall on Friday, February 14th at 8pm.
- Falling in Reverse with Escape The Fate and The Word Alive are playing Webster Hall on Saturday, February 15th at 6pm.
- Eagles: Hotel California Tour is playing Madison Square Garden on Saturday, February 15th at 8pm.
- Marc Anthony is playing Prudential Center on Saturday, February 15th at 8pm.
- Maxwell with Mase and Musiq and En Vogue and The Dream are playing Barclays Center on Saturday, February 15th at 8pm.
- El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico with Tito Nieves and Jerry Rivera are playing Radio City Music Hall on Saturday, February 15th at 8pm.
- Ween is playing Terminal 5 on Saturday, February 15th at 8pm.
- Lil Tjay: Pop Smoke with The BK Drip and Polo G and Melii and Fivio Foriegn are playing Kings Theatre on Sunday, February 16th at 8pm.
- Eagles: Hotel California Tour is playing Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, February 18th at 7pm.
- Post Malone with Swae Lee is playing Prudential Center on Tuesday, February 18th at 8pm.
Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
Today's fact about New York
- 95% of the city's water supply is delivered via gravity since it is stored in reservoirs at higher elevations upstate
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 73°F on February 15, 1949
Record Low: -8°F on February 15, 1943
Weather for the week ahead:
Light rain today through Thursday.
Thanks for listening to A Great Big City. Follow along 24 hours a day on social media @agreatbigcity or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any news, feedback, or topic suggestions. Subscribe to AGBC News wherever you listen to podcasts: iTunes, Google Play, or Overcast, Player FM, TuneIn Radio, or listen to each episode on the podcast pages at agreatbigcity.com/podcast. If you enjoy the show, subscribe and leave a review wherever you're listening and visit our podcast site to see show notes and extra links for each episode.