Free Events and Attractions in New York City
Looking for something to do, but running short on funds? Try out any of these dozens of free events across New York City.
Event listings are maintained and verified to the best of our ability and new events are added frequently, but be sure to confirm event times and locations.
To submit a correction or suggest an event, use our Feedback page.
Also visit our main Events page
Zoos, Botanical Gardens, and Aquariums
- Bronx Zoo – Free admission all day on Wednesdays – Military discount for active duty and reserve members of the U.S. Military with valid Military ID presented at the admissions gate – Free admission to students of NYC colleges or NYC students attending out-of-state colleges with valid college ID – Free admission for NYC public school students on field trips – Free admission for children 2 and younger
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden – Free admission on Tuesdays all day and Saturdays from 10am to noon – Free admission for members – Free admission for children under 12 and school groups – Free admission for seniors 65+ on Fridays
- NY Aquarium – Admission is "Pay as you wish" in the Fall, Winter, and Spring on Fridays from 3 to 3:30pm and Summer Fridays from 4 to 5pm.
- New York Botanical Garden – Free admission all day on Wednesdays and 9am to 10am on Saturdays (does not include admission to the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory, Special Exhibitions, Everett Children's Adventure Garden, Rock Garden, or Tram Tour) – Free admission for children 2 and younger
Museums and Galleries
- African Burial Ground National Monument – Free admission at all times
- The Center for Book Arts – Free admission at all times
- Dorsky Gallery – Free admission at all times
- The Drawing Center – Free admission Thursdays 6pm to 8pm – Free admission for children 12 and younger
- Federal Hall National Memorial – Free admission at all times
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York – Tours are free at all times, but space is limited – Leave extra time for security screening
- Fisher Landau Center For Art – Free admission at all times
- MoMA PS1 Gallery – Free admission for New York City residents until October 15, 2016 – Free admission for children 16 and younger
- The Noguchi Museum – Free admission on the first Friday of each month – Free admission for children 12 and younger – Free admission for NYC public high school students with a valid ID
- Staten Island Museum – Free admission Tuesdays from 12pm to 2pm – Free admission to History Center at all times – Free admission to military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day
Live Music and Concert Calendar
- Bargemusic "Music in Motion" – Free admission Saturdays at 4pm in June, July, and August for a one hour concert plus Q & A with the musicians – Presented on a floating barge tethered near the Brooklyn Bridge
- Central Park Summerstage
- Industry City Summer Spree
Shakespeare in the Park
Tickets to Shakespeare in the Park are free, but notoriously difficult to obtain due to the number of people requesting tickets.
Free Outdoor Movies
Most city-sponsored outdoor movies will require you to bring a towel or other seating with you. Check each page for specific requirements and arrive early for best seating.
- Keep up to date with free movies held in city parks on the NYC Parks page.
- Rooftop Films Summer Series
- Films on the Green – Sponsored by the French Embassy, FACE Foundation and NYC Parks
- Movie nights at Hunters Point Park in South Long Island City along the East River
- HBO Bryant Park Film Festival – Bryant Park, Midtown Manhattan
- Summer Screen in McCarren Park in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
- Outdoor films at Socrates Sculpture Park in Long Island City
- Movies in Hudson River Park
- Movies in Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Artists & Fleas in Williamsburg, Chelsea, and SoHo
- Brooklyn Flea in SoHo and Dumbo
- Bushwick Flea – 16 Harrison Place, Brooklyn
- Chelsea Flea Market and Hell's Kitchen Flea Market
- GreenFlea on the UWS
- Long Island Flea Market
- "The Market" – Nolita and SoHo
- Queens Night Market – New York Hall of Science, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens
Street Fairs and Food Festivals