231 years ago on February 23rd, 1790
George Washington moves to the second presidential mansion, the Alexander Macomb House, at 39-41 Broadway lower Manhattan
During the two years that New York City was the nation's capital, George Washington lived in two lower Manhattan residences, and moved to the Macomb House after finding the Samuel Osgood House too small. The President would live in Manhattan until August 30, 1790 when the nation's capital formally moved to Philadelphia while Washington D.C. was under construction. Both New York houses have since been demolished, but a plaque marks the location of the Macomb House at modern-day 39 Broadway.