Register to Vote by October 12th to Vote in the Next Presidential Election
Don’t get so caught up in watching the debates that you forget the most important step: Registering to vote!
If you want to vote for President in the upcoming General Election, you’ll need to get your voter registration form in the mail by October 12th. The New York registration deadline is 25 days before election day, which means today is the day!
Here are the requirements, from the NYC Board of Elections
* Be a citizen of the United States (Includes those persons born in Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
* Be a New York City resident for at least 30 days.
* Be 18 years of age before the next election.
* Not be serving a jail sentence or be on parole for a felony conviction.
* Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court.
* Not claim the right to vote elsewhere (outside the City of New York).
To fill out a form in person, you’ll need to stop by a government office (such as a post office), Department of Motor Vehicles office, armed forces recruitment center, or a local elections office. The NY Board of Elections site has a list of NY County Boards of Elections offices.
To download and print the form yourself, the New York State Voter Registration Form is available here [PDF link], and New York also accepts the National Mail Voter Registration Form available here [PDF link] and in six other languages from the US Election Assistance Commission.