AGBC News Episode 27: Manhattan Helicopter Crash and Vet Care for Homeless Pets
Details on the helicopter crash in Midtown and a truly "impossible" burger!
Top story this week is the second helicopter crash within the past month, this time atop a building in Midtown. The FAA confirms that Timothy McCormack was not licensed to fly in bad weather because he was not "instrument rated", meaning that he was not qualified to fly a helicopter using only the instrument panel and was only certified to fly in good weather when visibility was greater than 3 miles. If you saw anything that day or have photos or video of the crash, email email@example.com
4 years ago on June 13, 2015 — Three attempted terrorists are arrested in a pressure-cooker bomb plot
Coming up this Saturday, June 15th: A coalition of organizations are holding a clinic for people experiencing homelessness and their pets.
If you're headed to Governors Island this summer, see if you can hitch a ride on a brand-new ferry boat that will go into weekend service beginning on June 15th. The new ship, called the Governors 1, was built by Rhode Island-based Blount Boats, and can carry up to 400 passengers per trip from Lower Manhattan to Governors Island. The first trip of the new 132-foot-long ferry will leave at 10:20am from the Battery Maritime Building at South Street and Broad Street on Saturday, June 15th.
36 years ago on June 11, 1983 — A man jumps to his death from the Empire State Building observation deck, the second person to do so within two weeks.
2 years ago on June 10, 2017 — Area code 332 becomes active to begin supplementing the dwindling amount of available 212 and 646 numbers.
122 years ago on June 15, 1897 — A fire sweeps through Ellis Island's wood buildings
135 years ago on June 16, 1884 — America's first rollercoaster opens in Coney Island
It's hard to believe it's been seven years since the Space Shuttle arrived in New York, but check the links in the show notes to see Video from April 2012 of the Space Shuttle arriving in New York aboard its special Boeing 747 transport vehicle and a Time-Lapse Video from June 12, 2012 of the Space Shuttle Enterprise Being Lifted Onto the Intrepid Air Craft Carrier's Flight Deck, where you can now view an entire exhibition about the journey the shuttle took to reach New York.
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website — It also automatically checks MTA data before morning rush hour and sends out notifications if there are delays on any subway lines, LIRR or MetroNorth trains, and bridges and tunnels. Follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts.
Park of the day
- DeRosa–O'Boyle Triangle — Dewey Ave. bet. E. Tremont Ave. and Edison Ave., the Bronx — This triangle honors William Anthony DeRosa and Andrew O’Boyle, two Throgs Neck natives who were killed during World War II.
- Father's Day Classic Car Show — June 16, 2019
- Feed Me and BlackGummy are playing Brooklyn Steel on Thursday, June 13th.
- The National and Courtney Barnett are playing Prospect Park Bandshell on Thursday, June 13th.
- Marissa Nadler and Stephen Brodsky, Annie Hart, and Russian Baths are playing Saint Vitus Bar on Thursday, June 13th.
- Full of Hell, elizabeth colour wheel, and Primitive Man are playing Brooklyn Night Bazaar on Friday, June 14th.
- Ariana Grande, Normani, and Social House are playing Barclays Center on Friday, June 14th.
- MxPx, Rehasher, and Unwritten Law are playing Irving Plaza on Saturday, June 15th.
- Death Cab for Cutie and Jenny Lewis are playing Forest Hills Stadium on Saturday, June 15th.
- Church of Misery and Toke are playing Saint Vitus Bar on Saturday, June 15th.
- Deceased, Attacker, Ruthless and Eat Lead at Brooklyn Bazaar, Deceased, Attacker, Eat Lead, and Ruthless are playing Brooklyn Bazaar on Saturday, June 15th.
- Ariana Grande, Normani, and Social House are playing Barclays Center on Saturday, June 15th.
- Thompson Square is playing Meadowlands Racetrack — 1 Racetrack Drive — on Saturday, June 15th at 4pm.
- Death Cab for Cutie with Jenny Lewis is playing Forest Hills Stadium — 1 Tennis Pl — Forest Hills on Saturday, June 15th at 6pm.
- Ariana Grande are playing Barclays Center — 620 Atlantic Avenue — Boerum Hill on Saturday, June 15th at 8pm.
- James Chance and The Contortions, Ice Balloons, and James Chance are playing Our Wicked Lady on Sunday, June 16th.
- Wisin Y Yandel are playing Prudential Center — 25 Lafayette Street — on Sunday, June 16th at 7pm.
- DaBaby (16+) is playing PlayStation Theater — 1515 Broadway — Midtown on Sunday, June 16th at 8pm.
- Wu-Tang Clan is playing Amphitheater At Coney Island Boardwalk — 3052 West 21st Street — Seagate on Sunday, June 16th at 8pm.
- Ariana Grande, Normani, and Social House are playing Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, June 18th.
- Minuit Machine, Milliken Chamber, and silent em are playing Brooklyn Night Bazaar on Tuesday, June 18th.
- JoJo Siwa with The Belles is playing Beacon Theatre — 2124 Broadway — Upper West Side on Tuesday, June 18th at 7pm.
- Ariana Grande are playing Madison Square Garden — 4 Pennsylvania Plaza — Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Tuesday, June 18th at 8pm.
- Soundgarden (21+) is playing Brooklyn Steel — 319 Frost Street — Greenpoint on Tuesday, June 18th at 8pm.
- A R I Z O N A and morgxn are playing Brooklyn Steel on Wednesday, June 19th.
- Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, TOUR, Billie Eilish, and Denzel Curry are playing Radio City Music Hall on Wednesday, June 19th.
- Ariana Grande - Sweetener World Tour, Ariana Grande, Normani, and Social House are playing Madison Square Garden on Wednesday, June 19th.
- Kishi Bashi and Takénobu are playing Murmrr Theatre on Wednesday, June 19th.
- semaphore, Bonsai Trees, Stay Inside, and Synapses Firing are playing El Coretz on Wednesday, June 19th.
- Jason Isbell with Father John Misty is playing Prospect Park Bandshell — 95 Prospect Park West — South Slope on Wednesday, June 19th at 6pm.
- Ari Lennox (18+) is playing Bowery Ballroom — 6 Delancey Street — Lower East Side on Wednesday, June 19th at 7pm.
- Billie Eilish with Denzel Curry is playing Radio City Music Hall — 1260 6th Avenue — Midtown on Wednesday, June 19th at 7pm.
- Ariana Grande are playing Madison Square Garden — 4 Pennsylvania Plaza — Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Wednesday, June 19th at 8pm.
- Tank and the Bangas / Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles, Tank and the Bangas, and Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles are playing Prospect Park Bandshell on Thursday, June 20th.
Thanks for listening! Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
Learn about New York
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
- You may apply to ride along with NYPD officers during their shift if you are a New York resident and at least 18 years old — Visit the link in the show notes to the NYPD site to find out more
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 99°F on June 14, 1956
Record Low: 48°F on June 15, 1933
Weather for the week ahead:
Rain throughout the week, with high temperatures rising to 89°F on Monday.
Intro and outro music: 'Start the Day' by Lee Rosevere — Concert Calendar music from Jukedeck.com — Roller coaster music: "Transit of Venus" (1883) by John Philip Sousa, performed by the United States Marine Band