AGBC News Episode 31: Manhattanhenge Sundown and the '77 Blackout
The second appearance of Manhattanhenge means summer's already fading away 🌇
Visit agreatbigcity.com/support to learn how to support New York City local news and allow us to keep bringing you this podcast. If you are a New York-based business and would be interested in sponsoring our podcasts, visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
New York honored the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team for their fourth World Cup victory with a ticker-tape parade and a presentation at city hall on July 10th where each member of the team received a key to the city. The team has won 48 of its last 50 games played and has now won four of the eight total women's World Cups played. (According to the Department of Sanitation, 7 tons of paper were collected along the parade route and recycled after the ticker-tape parade.)
2 years ago on July 5, 2017 — NYPD officer Miosotis Familia is killed while sitting in a police vehicle in Fordham Heights, Bronx
12 years ago on July 9, 2007 — NYPD officer Russel Timoshenko is shot during a traffic stop in Crown Heights and dies five days later
The Wall Street Bull may get some breathing room by next summer. In a Department of Transportation proposal, the area surrounding the narrow plaza at Bowling Green where the Charging Bull statue was placed in 1989 will be modified to be more pedestrian-friendly.
42 years ago on July 13, 1977 — A two-day blackout sweeps across the city
23 years ago on July 17, 1996 — TWA Flight 800 explodes and crashes in Suffolk County after takeoff from JFK Airport, killing all 230 people on board
- If AGBC has kept you informed over the years, make a contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support, and if you're a local business, visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to view rates and learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website: Our fireworks page monitors the city's announcements of upcoming fireworks, lists them on our site, and automatically sends out a notification just before the fireworks begin, so that you can watch the show or prepare your pet for the upcoming sounds of explosions. Visit agreatbigcity.com/fireworks to see the full calendar and follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts
Park of the day
- Find a new viewing location for the upcoming Manhattanhenge by leaving Manhattan! There will be a unique perspective available across the East River in Hunters Point Park. Located in south Long Island City along the coastline, the new park offers a view straight across the water to 34th Street, giving a view of the entire Manhattan skyline with the sun glowing from within. Plan to arrive at the park early, as Manhattanhenge only shines for a short amount of time just before sundown at 8:21pm, and visit the AGBC Manhattanhenge page for more viewing locations — LIC Henge 2019
Here's the AGBC Concert Calendar for the upcoming week:
- The Psychedelic Furs, Dear Boy, and James are playing The Rooftop at Pier 17 on Friday, July 12th.
- Heize US and Canada Tour 2019, Heize, and 헤이즈 are playing Music Hall of Williamsburg on Friday, July 12th.
- Charly Bliss is playing The Bowery Ballroom on Friday, July 12th.
- Freezepop and Nullsleep are playing Mercury Lounge on Saturday, July 13th.
- The Weeks is playing Baby's All Right on Saturday, July 13th.
- Marissa Nadler and Wild Pink are playing City Winery on Saturday, July 13th.
- Jennifer Lopez with World of Dance is playing Madison Square Garden in Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Saturday, July 13th at 8pm.
- Nick Murphy with Beacon is playing Brooklyn Steel in Greenpoint on Saturday, July 13th at 8pm.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams Jr. are playing Forest Hills Stadium on Sunday, July 14th.
- Public Practice and The Ritchie White Orchestra are playing Our Wicked Lady on Sunday, July 14th.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd with Hank Williams Jr. is playing Forest Hills Stadium in Forest Hills on Sunday, July 14th at 6pm.
- Lohai is playing Brooklyn Bowl in Downtown Brooklyn on Sunday, July 14th at 8pm.
- Chai and Bodega are playing Music Hall of Williamsburg on Monday, July 15th.
- Legion of Skanks Podcast and Francis Ellis are playing The Stand on Monday, July 15th.
- Sad Summer, State Champs, Mayday Parade, The Maine, and The Wonder Years are playing The Rooftop at Pier 17 on Tuesday, July 16th.
- David Allan Coe is playing Sony Hall on Tuesday, July 16th.
- Coyle Girelli and Riley Pinkerton are playing Mercury Lounge on Tuesday, July 16th.
New York Fact
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
- Central Park's Great Lawn was originally a reservoir of fresh water for city's water supply system. In 1931, it was filled in with material excavated from Rockefeller Center and the Eighth Avenue subway
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 102°F on July 15, 1995
Record Low: 54°F on July 13, 1888
Weather for the week ahead:
Light rain on Thursday and next Friday, with high temperatures bottoming out at 85°F on Monday.