133 years ago on April 19th, 1890
The Polo Grounds stadium opens in Upper Manhattan
It was located just across the Harlem River from current-day Yankee Stadium. This was actually the third of four total venues to go by the name 'Polo Grounds', the first being along the northern border of Central Park in the 1880s. This third Polo Grounds stood until a fire in 1911 and the reconstructed stadium stood until 1964. The city acquired the land under eminent domain and constructed the Polo Grounds NYCHA houses there.