291 years ago on April 8th, 1730
The Mill Street Synagogue of Congregation Shearith Israel is established as the first purpose-built synagogue in both New York and North America
The synagogue was consecrated on the seventh day of Passover. The congregation had been renting worship space since settling in New York in 1654, and is the oldest Jewish congregation in the United States. It would be used until 1818 when a larger structure would be built on Mill Street (modern-day Williams Street). The current-day synagogue of the congregation is located at Central Park West and 70th Street.