AGBC News Episode 57: Coronavirus in NYC and Barbie Makes the Scene
Fearless Girl faces a bully 🐂
Visit agreatbigcity.com/support to learn how to support New York City local news and allow us to keep bringing you this podcast. If you are a New York-based business and would be interested in sponsoring our podcasts, visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
26 years ago on March 1, 1994 — A Lebanese-born man fires two handguns at a van of Jewish students on the Brooklyn Bridge, killing one and wounding three
97 years ago on March 5, 1923 — "Human Fly" Harry F. Young falls to his death while climbing the Hotel Martinique as part of a movie promotion
- Mar 8 – Daylight Saving Time begins
- Mar 9 – Full Moon (Worm Moon) Supermoon
- Mar 9 – First night of Purim
- Mar 9 – Hindu festival of Holi
- Mar 17 – St. Patrick's Day
- Mar 19 – March Equinox
50 years ago on March 6, 1970 — The Weather Underground townhouse explodes while the terrorist organization is constructing a bomb
12 years ago on March 6, 2008 — A unsolved mystery that stands out in modern New York history: An IED explodes outside the Times Square Army recruitment office
3 years ago on March 7, 2017 — The 'Fearless Girl' statue is placed at Bowling Green, facing the famous Wall Street Bull statue
61 years ago on March 9, 1959 — The Barbie doll debuts at the American International Toy Fair in New York
287 years ago on March 12, 1733 — Bowling Green Park is established as the city's first official park
6 years ago on March 12, 2014 — A natural gas explosion levels two five-story buildings on Park Avenue
Stories from AGBC History:
9 years ago — What's happening with Admirals Row? — Friday, March 4
9 years ago — The TLC releases the results of their Taxi of Tomorrow survey — Friday, March 4
3 years ago — Caught on Live Video: ABC 7 Reporter Approached by Man in Mask on Lower East Side — Saturday, March 4
3 years ago — Not Real Yet - Don't Get Fooled by These Trump Internment Camp Signs — Monday, March 6
3 years ago — FDNY Debuts New Tethered Drone with Infrared Camera — Tuesday, March 7
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website: Our fireworks page monitors the city's announcements of upcoming fireworks, lists them on our site, and automatically sends out a notification just before the fireworks begin, so that you can watch the show or prepare your pet for the upcoming sounds of explosions. Visit agreatbigcity.com/fireworks to see the full calendar and follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts.
Park of the day
- New Lots / Dumont Triangle — A possible competitor for smallest park, this traffic island features just one tree and no grass, with paving stones surrounding the tree.
- Astronomy: The Full Moon — Date: March 8, 2020 The wonders of the universe are ready to be discovered and New York City parks are the perfect place to stargaze and explore the night sky.
- Celine Dion is playing Barclays Center on Thursday, March 5th at 7pm.
- Dermot Kennedy with SYML is playing Radio City Music Hall on Thursday, March 5th at 8pm.
- 070 Shake (16+, Rescheduled from October 9, 2019) are playing Webster Hall on Thursday, March 5th at 9pm.
- Jane Birkin is playing Beacon Theatre on Friday, March 6th at 8pm.
- Fabolous with Funkmaster Flex is playing Apollo Theater on Friday, March 6th at 8pm.
- bbno$ is playing Bowery Ballroom on Friday, March 6th at 8pm.
- Silversun Pickups with The New Regime is playing Brooklyn Steel on Friday, March 6th at 8pm.
- Omarion with Bow Wow and Ying Yang Twins and Soulja Boy and The Millenium are playing The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on Friday, March 6th at 8pm.
- Celine Dion is playing Prudential Center on Saturday, March 7th at 7pm.
- Steve Hackett is playing Bergen Performing Arts Center on Saturday, March 7th at 8pm.
- Moein is playing Manhattan Center on Saturday, March 7th at 9pm.
- bbno$ is playing Music Hall of Williamsburg on Saturday, March 7th at 9pm.
- Tchami is playing Terminal 5 on Saturday, March 7th at 9pm.
- Celine Dion is playing Prudential Center on Sunday, March 8th at 7pm.
- The Brothers (Allman Brothers Band 50th Anniversary) are playing Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, March 10th at 8pm.
- Dashboard Confessional with The Get Up Kids is playing Webster Hall on Wednesday, March 11th at 7pm.
Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
Today's fact about New York
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
- Residents or businesses can order posters, decals, and signs to properly label recycling bins and list items that are recyclable
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 77°F on March 9, 2016
Record Low: 3°F on March 5, 1872
Weather for the week ahead: Light rain Friday
Thanks for listening to A Great Big City. Follow along 24 hours a day on social media @agreatbigcity or email email@example.com with any news, feedback, or topic suggestions. Subscribe to AGBC News wherever you listen to podcasts: iTunes, Google Play, or TuneIn Radio, Pocket Casts, Overcast, or listen to each episode on the podcast pages at agreatbigcity.com/podcast. If you enjoy the show, subscribe and leave a review wherever you're listening and visit our podcast site to see show notes and extra links for each episode.